Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Delight

  It is two o'clock in the afternoon, and her feet make their way slowly up the stairway while her five and a half month old snuggles in a little closer. He lays his head upon her chest and listens. He listens to the heartbeat of the mother who loves him. And once again, he is at peace, for he knows that she delights in him. 
   Together they enter his tiny room where his crib sits firmly tucked against the wall. She holds him a little closer as she whispers into his ear, "It is time to rest my son; it is time to close those eyes and dream ever so sweetly." He knows that his mommy will not forget him while he sleeps, but that she will indeed watch over him so that he can rest securely.  Again he lays his head down on her chest, and he listens. He listens to the voice of the mother whom he trusts. And once again, he is at peace, for he knows that she delights in him.
    She places him in his crib, and shortly after he settles, he is looking up into her eyes as she returns his gaze. For a moment, his arms stretch upward as he reaches to touch her hair that has fallen out of the ponytail, once fresh in the early hours of the morning. She chuckles as his little fingers gently swipe her cheek, and then she asks him, " Shall we sing?" 
     He doesn't have to consider her question a moment longer, but instead, in excitement, his arms move rapidly up and down as he waits for the music to start and for her voice to utter its familiar melody. While she sings, he watches intently, sometimes trying to mimic the movement of her lips with his. And while he watches, he listens. He listens to the voice of the mother who sings over him. And once again, he is at peace, for he knows that she delights in him. 
     In this moment too, his mother is listening to her Savior. He again reminds her of how these cherished times with her son are ones on which she can refect. He says to her, "Oh my precious child. See how you cherish your son? You love him deeply, passionately, and tenderly. Your heart is filled emotions and feelings that you never knew existed. Yet as deep as your love goes, can you imagine how my love for you is that much greater? And not only do I love you, but I love to spend time with you as you gaze into my eyes and reach out to me. So, my precious child, take time to rest upon my chest and listen to the sweet songs that I sing over you. Be at peace once more, my beloved, for in you, I delight."        

Dear Lord,
    Thank you for your promise in Zephaniah 3:17, which says, "...He [the LORD] will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing" (NIV). Thank you that you rejoice over me and that you truly do delight in me. Let my love for my son be an outpouring of the love that you have given me. And let me always be listening to the sweet songs that you sing.

In Jesus' Name,
Amen
   



2 comments:

  1. Hello LeNay. My name is Rachel, I am a friend of John Duba. I am also a fellow blogger. :)

    He sent me an e-mail encouraging me to stop by and see you. This is a lovely post, and a beautiful picture of the miraculous love that springs forth from us when we have a child. And how that relationship teaches us daily of the deep and abiding love that our God has for us.

    Looking forward to staying in touch and stopping by now and then.

    If I need any help related to blogging- I would be glad to try to help you if I can. :)

    If you would like to stop by my blog, here is the link www.myheartsmission.com. Take care, God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel!
      Thank you so much for your encouraging words! I went to your blog and was so amazed at the beauty of your words and heart. You truly have a passion for the Lord, and it shows.

      I would love to ask for your help in setting up my blog page and learning how to "decorate" it a bit more, add links,etc. Let me know if you are still interested in helping me out with that and how I could get in contact with you. :) Thanks so much!!

      LeNay

      Delete